Monday, October 15, 2007

Pancakes of Death! Courtesy of My Mom.

Ah, Mom.

I love how every email you send is in 24 point colored type. But for once you have sent me an email warning that turns out to be true. Behold:

WARNING ABOUT Pancake Mix (and other boxed mixes)

(may be you already know this, I DID NOT !!)

Talk about frightening...

Throw away ALL OUTDATED! pancake mix you have in your home, PLEASE! If you don't believe me, read this article and then follow the 'Link' below to SNOPES. Sorry to be the Grim Reaper of bad news, but I would rather have you ALIVE, besides a $2.00 box of pancake mix is NOT worth your life.

P. S. You might want to tell this to your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps pancake mix in the cupboard.

WARNING - READ ON.

AND CHECK SNOPES TOO

From Snopes:
I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling.

My husband, a volunteer Firefighter and EMT , heated up some water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his lips returned to a more normal color. We checked the date on the box of pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was very outdated.

As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability to search through many research databases. I did just that, and found an article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be toxic!

When we told our friends about my son's close call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes.

Also, beware of outdated Bisquick, cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

PASS IT ON! This is TRUE --Check it out!


However, one thing that has been omitted from this paranoid posting: you are really only going to have a problem if you have a mold allergy. You know, the same way being stung by a bee will only kill a person who is allergic to being stung by bees.

You know what would be awesome though? Prince pancakes.

Labels: , , , ,