Thursday, July 06, 2006

The World Is Badly Made

EZ tells me the French have a saying "Le monde es mal fait" (I believe that's the spelling) which translates to the title of this entry. Sometimes the French are right on.

I have just learned that on July 4th, a member of my class died in a car accident.

This is the second person in my class to die since we began law school, in addition to three professors this academic year alone.

I did not know this boy, but I cannot help but think of the poignant words of John Donne:

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.


Between the deaths and the hurricane, EZ said he was beginning to feel that, like Job, our class had suffered more than our fair share. But Job eventually got his life back after a sufficient amount of kicking around. I wonder when the dust will settle in our case.

The world is badly made indeed.