Saturday, March 05, 2005

L.H.O.O.Q.: An encounter with funny frat boys

For those of you who are not familiar with Marcel Duchamp, he's the guy many people say ruined art forever because he hung a urinal on the wall and called it art. No matter what you think of his artistic vision, you have to admit he had a sense of humor. One of his more famous pieces is called L.H.O.O.Q. It's a cheap postcard of the Mona Lisa where he's drawn a mustache and goatee on her. The best part is that the letters L.H.O.O.Q. are written under the picture. When those letters are pronounced in French, they sound like "Elle a chaud au cul," which translates colloquially as "She is hot in the ass." Follow this link to enjoy.

All of this to say that boys always have and always will have potty humor.


On Friday I was walking to my nine o'clock class from where I always park my car on frat row, which is as close as I can get to school. It's early, I'm grumpy, and two young men are walking towards me taking up the whole sidewalk. I look up and immediately smell the reek of alcohol, which conceivably could be coming from the street, but I suspect is more likely emanating from my fellow early birds. So I look up just in time for the boy heading straight for me to look up at me and slur "Hey sexy! We're gonna go get naked, wanna come with us?".

I chuckle. I am at least five years older than this young man, and I feel quite certain that even if I did take him and his friend up on his offer to get naked that he would be at a loss as to what to do with me once we did. At any rate, these boys are quite hilarious in their way, so I thank them for their offer but reply that I'm afraid I have to get to class and keep walking.

I'm still laughing to myself, a few beats pass, and then the boy shouts back at me, "I love your ass!"

I laugh all the way to class.