Tuesday, February 13, 2007

And Then All Hell Broke Loose

Since my sis makes me get on Facebook, I used it today to join the Hurricane Katrina Relief Network to keep abreast of volunteer opportunites. Surprisingly, lots of people log on to say things like "Get over it," which if you were here and could still see all the work that needs to be done, you would find it unbelievable.

I didn't realize as I was happily surfing the net this morning getting angry about dickwads in Michigan telling us to "move on", that a tornado had torn through my neighborhood during the night destroying blocks around me and killing one person in her FEMA trailer. I didn't know what had happened until I set off for a bike ride.

There are still a couple of friends I haven't heard from and am concerned. Of those that I have heard from, Big N's front window exploded when part of her neighbor's roof flew through it and tore off part of her roof.

As though that weren't scary enough, the power is out for blocks and blocks so there are national gaurdsmen and police stationed one every corner to prevent looting. Their flashing lights are the only lights you can see in this part of the city. As I got out of my last class, hummer after hummer rolled by as did police with sirens wailing.